Sunday, May 15, 2005

The story Behind Vi's Wrought Iron Gate Poem

Vi's poem, the Wrought Iron Gate, had been niggling at the back of mind for almost a month. I wanted so much to find that field and walk through the gate. I'm not taking metaphors here, I didn't want to write about it--I love writing, but it's hard work and it wasn't work I was looking for--I wanted(needed?) the experience of touching cold wrought iron swirls warming in the sun but casting no shadow--a gate that came from nowhere and lead--somewhere else.

The poem stayed with me and I went back to read it again. I pasted it into my computer's note program. I made a copy and kept it in my pocket. I found myself wondering if there might be a gate just like it somewhere in this world; it's a big world after all. Foolish thought. I pushed it away but it simmered on the back burner of my mind, edged into my dreams, nagged me at work.

I read the poem to a friend thinking, quite selfishly, that if I shared it with someone else it might cease to haunt me. She loved it but I got no relief. Strange. It's a short poem and simple, no fancy, multisyllable words, no deep, life altering epiphanies, just a sweet, slightly mysterious combination of phrases set into a few simple stanzas that leave room for the reader to wonder and wander about. A poem that Billy Collins would admire.

I suppose it began as a dream. I had finished dinner, and was in that drowsy state I sometimes find myself in after a busy, noise-filled day, when I've finally settled down and given-in to the quiet and peace of an evening spent alone. I wasn't thinking about the poem, I was reading a not-too engrossing novel and, I admit it, I dozed off.

Suddenly, I was standing alone in an empty field, knee-deep in nondescript grasses and weeds that were unknown to me. I had no words available until I turned and saw the gate. I went and touched the wrought iron, let my fingers travel along its cool curves, as Vi did, while my eyes searched for the shadow I knew they wouldn't find.

There was nothing to do but go inside the poem. The gate swung open at my touch and, holding my breath, I walked through to the other side.

I've never been so disappointed in my life.

To be continued.

4 Comments:

At 2:03 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

There is something about "to be continued . . ." that just makes you want to know what is going to happen, NOW! Or maybe it is that you have left the story with one of those great "hanging moments." Tolkien is a master of this. He ends a chapter and all you want to do is start the next chapter immediately, possibly without turning the page. About gates; if I am not mistaken, Trendle has a gate in her Lemuria garden standing in the middle of the garden going . . . who knows where. We’ll have to ask her at the Abby. It seems to me it is true, though I suppose I could have dreamed it. I’ve always wanted one. Not necessarily a gate, but an arch, or arbor, not leading from one part of a garden or up a path - just standing in the middle of the yard. Possibilities.

 
At 8:27 AM, Blogger Vi Jones said...

Oh, Believer, you have me so curious. What did you find on the other side of that Wrought Iron Gate? I hadn't thought about it before but I suppose my poem posed a question to which only you have had the courage to respond. Dare I say that the mystery is in the process of being solved.

Vi

 
At 4:42 PM, Blogger Believer said...

The mystery is definitely solved Vi, just not written, yet! LOL
I will work on it this week and let you know in the soulfoodcafe e-mail when it's finished.

Ooh, Winnie, yes, gates, portals, arches, and doors are all possibilities. Perhaps after this I'll go visit Trendle's gate, although I doubt I could ever come up with anything as beautiful as her pictures.

 
At 7:47 AM, Blogger Vi Jones said...

Steps, too, Believer. Steps that lead to 'gates, portals, arches, and doors.' And some, yes some, that lead nowhere at all.

Vi

 

Post a Comment

<< Home